Monday, October 14, 2013

Thanksgiving Misgivings

Thanksgiving, the Canadian version, is today. Traditionally a time of families coming together and celebrating everything that they are thankful for, and eating a great meal. My family, like most others has been doing it for years, but this time they'll be doing it without me. It's weird not having an awesome turkey dinner this weekend, everyone around me is going to their families places and I'm stuck here watching Quentin Tarantino movies and eating Ramen. I'd go out but, that'd be money. Instead I'm left in here with my canned food and video games in an empty apartment. Both my roommates have places to be.

I guess that's what happens when you're new in a city.  I'm not going to lie, I was kind of hoping I'd have one of those sit-com esce thanksgivings where I'd be joining a group of people also with no where to go, complete with wacky high-jinks and innuendo of course. But, apparently, life is not like a sit-com. Shocker, I know.

But that's OK.

It gives me more time to really think on what I have to be thankful for. There's a lot, it's just different things this year.

This year I'm not thankful for a big, home cooked family meal. I'm thankful for the Pizza I was able to afford.
Thin crust, pepperoni, donair meat and green peppers. Mmmm mmmm.

This year, instead of being thankful that my parents continue to tolerate my living with them, I get to be thankful for my apartment and the awesome view from my deck.
Made with real Ocean!

This year, instead of despising the town I live in I get to actually be thankful for it! I mean, check out this park that's across the street from me!
Actually that may not be the best angle

I'm thankful for the opportunity I've been given to work with Brad on Flow Productions out here. I'm thankful that I have a job to support that dream. And for my family and friends back home who've called and messaged me with support and encouragement since I got here. 

I mean, to be honest, for all my complaining about money, I'm actually pretty lucky. I think that most of us really are, which is why Thanksgiving is so important, because we really do have a lot to be thankful for. That's really the big takeaway for me, after spending thanksgiving on my own. I thought a lot more this year about thankfulness and appreciating what I have. Rather than just anticipating a lovely turkey dinner. But I did very much miss the connection to family we all get around this time of year. So for those who did get the opportunity to do that, remember that not everyone gets to, and raise a toast to family, warts and all, they're the only one you've got.

Thanks,

Matt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment